Guided Tour of Bolton Street Cemetery’s Built Heritage
This is a special opportunity to learn about Wellington’s first cemetery, and the history of the early buildings that were once within it.
Hear about the historic “time ball” procedure which was used to provide a time service to the town from January 1870 until its site was taken over in 1906 for the tomb of Prime Minister Richard Seddon.
Find out about the original mortuary chapel – now replaced by the replica chapel museum. Hear the stories concerning the cottage (now gone) built for the Public Sexton, and the other cottage (pictured), built on Bolton Street for the Anglican Sexton in 1857, which is still in good condition.
We have permission for our tour to include a guided visit to this heritage building. An educational and entertaining event! Our guides will also talk about the disruption caused by the construction of Wellington’s urban motorway in the 1960s.
Booking required through Eventfinda. Click here to book.
Location: Meeting point will be at the Kinross Street entrance to the Cemetery.
Cost: $5 per person